The Cemeteries of IHC
According to Jewish tradition, Jewish burial grounds are sacred sites and must remain undisturbed in perpetuity. Establishing a cemetery is one of the first priorities for a new Jewish community. In this tradition, Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation purchased land on Kelly Street, in the heart of the Jewish Community, when it was first established in 1856. Almost 100 years later, the congregation purchased land at North Meridian Street and 161st Street to provide for burial needs of the congregation as it moved north.
The congregation still owns and operates both properties- IHC South Cemetery and IHC North Cemetery. Maintenance of the cemetery is funded strictly from the sale of burial rights and donations to the IHC Cemetery Fund – no temple operating funds are used. Donations are welcomed and appreciated.
Open every day from 9:00am – 5:00pm, except Shabbat and
Jewish Holy Days.
Both the North and South Cemeteries are managed by
Aaron-Ruben-Nelson Funeral Home
For information on pricing and policies, please contact Aaron Ruben Nelson Funeral Home.
To order a monument, request information about unveiling ceremonies,
or general questions contact Aaron Ruben Nelson Funeral Home
IHC South Cemetery
The address for the main gate of the South Cemetery is 40 W. Kelly Street in Indianapolis. To get there, go south on Meridian Street to Kelly Street (south of Monument Circle at approximately 2300 South). Kelly Street is south of Raymond Street. Turn west onto Kelly Street. The cemeteries are on the right side of the street. The South cemetery is a traditional style cemetery with a great variety of style and size of memorials and headstones – including family crypts.
IHC North Cemetery
The address for the North cemetery is 1300 E 161st Street in Westfield, IN. It is just west of US 31 on 161st Street. The drive is the north leg of the first round about west of the 161st Street overpass over US 31. The northside cemetery was created with the premise that in death and in the eyes of God we are all equal. This is carried out by the restriction on the size and shape of headstones.