To join together in Sisterhood and, guided by the principles of Reform Judaism, strengthen our congregation, our community and ourselves.
Sisterhood is a welcoming, caring and engaging community within IHC. Sisterhood empowers women of IHC by creating an atmosphere for personal and spiritual growth. Over 100 years old (we don’t look it do we?), Sisterhood remains an integral part of Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, by providing funding for temple projects and programs and providing the Woman Power to get things done!
In 2018, we made a radical change to be more welcoming and inclusive. Now, every woman of IHC is a Sisterhood member. Instead of paying “dues” to be a member, we now are counting on every IHC woman to take pride in our Sisterhood and to become a Contributor. Of course, YOU decide the amount that is meaningful to you and what works with your budget.
Become a Contributor
Here are the ways you can support Sisterhood:
- Become a Contributor with a donation (of any amount) to support our 2021 programs & projects. Even if you don’t have time to be active in Sisterhood right now, we ask you to please support us financially. We can’t do all that we do without you!
- Attend our incredible events, even if it is just one or two a year …we promise, you will enjoy it. We make every effort to keep these free or low cost, when possible.
- Volunteer! It’s a great way to get to know each other! And we always have fun!
- Participate in our annual fundraising efforts like Hamentashen sales, Spring Raffle, Hanukkah Hellos, and others!
- Contribute to the WRJ YES Fund
- Serve or chair a committee
You should become a Contributor because Sisterhood:
- Helps nurture new friendships to help you feel more connected to each other and IHC.
- Provides stimulating programming and social events, including our lively Torah Talk with Rabbi Brett, Sisters in the Sukkah, and our popular Women’s Seder.
- Engages with the surrounding community through our many Social Action projects such as providing food for school breaks, Thanksgiving baskets for families in need, support for victims of domestic violence and food insecurity.
- Supports every aspect of Temple life with almost $45,000 in annual financial gifts!
Stay Connected with IHC Sisterhood!
2021 Board of Directors
President – Rise’ Friedman
Immediate Past President – Amy Isaacs
Vice President of Membership – Sonja Kantor
Vice President of Fundraising – Carol Bogar
Vice President of Religious Living – Becky Ristow
Vice President of Membership Meetings – Karen Rossen
Treasurer – Elyse Chuvalas
Assistant Treasurer – Rebecca Willis
Registrar – Victoria Cahn
Corresponding Secretary – Debbie Waldman
Recording Secretary – Ruth Anderson
Parliamentarian – Anita Dansker
Director of Social Action – Bennie Silver
Director of Communications – Sara Cox
Director of Operations – Marla Oancea
Director of The Gift Shop – Bonnie Foster
Gift Shop Volunteer Coordinator – Marcella Slabosky
Gift Shop Bookkeeper – Elyse Chuvalas
Director of YES Fund – Jackie Barrett
Chair of ByLaws & Policies – Patty Goodman
Co-Chairs of Hamentashen – Tammy Falender & Judy Levy
Chair of Lilith Salon – Andrea Burnett
Chair of Torah Talk – Linda Hewitt
Become a 2021 IHC Sisterhood Contributor
Continuing in 2021, every adult woman of IHC is a Sisterhood member. We invite you to participate with Sisterhood by providing contact information and help us make IHC stronger than ever with your financial contribution. Your 2021 contribution helps support IHC and WRJ programs that touch youth, education, and special projects. Your 2021 contribution applies January through December.